Thursday, June 1, 2017

What's in the box?

Just a little rant, if you'll indulge me, to point out the difference between "re-purposed" and "fake".

The old BSA toolbox I fitted on the Rising Star was an actual toolbox when originally fitted to a B 31 (probably), as you can see here:

But because all the usable space ended up being taken by what I like to, jokingly, refer to as the avionics, it can no longer truthfully be called a toolbox. That, I must confess, rubs me the wrong way. I hate things that are made to look like something else, just for the sake of appearances, and modern "retro" bikes are rife and rampant with that trend. Prime example, Triumph's more or less current Bonneville's sprocket cover, made to look like a separate gearbox, all for the sake of making it look like the old pre-unit engines...

That is fake. My toolbox is not. And while it is no longer an actual toolbox, it has been re-purposed to house (and hide from view) a large part of the electrics.

And while I'm at it, allow me to rant a little more. Modern-retro design.... come on! Look at this and tell me the new ones are even remotely as good as the originals:


0 comments:

Post a Comment